|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Mesolithic or Neolithic flint implements|
Mesolithic or Neolithic flint implements, including a pick and axes, found before 1931.
Images - none
|Parish:||DISS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pre 1931. Stray Find.
According to (S1) the British Museum Sturge Collection includes 18 unprovenanced Neolithic flint implements from Diss, including 2 'celts' and 1 'pick'. Information from (S2).
A noted added to (S2) by E. Rose (NAU) suggests that some of these flints could be Mesolithic, although the reason for this assertion is not given.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 7 January 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- PICK (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Smith, R. A. 1931. The Sturge Collection: an illustrated selection of flints from Britain bequeathed in 1919 by William Allen Sturge. pp 126-127. |
|<S2>||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Diss. |
Related records - none
Find out more...