|Type of record:||Building|
According to a map of 1844 the remains of a former mansion stand on this site, but no traces of any building older than the present hall have been recorded. The current Hall dates to 1858-9 and is built from red brick in a Neo-Tudor style. It has a kitchen garden supposedly designed by Soane and aerial photographs show the parchmarks of various former garden features at the front of the house. This grand building is currently in use as a school.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1508 1378|
|Parish:||TAVERHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Site marked on tithe map 1844 (held by Norfolk Record Office) as 'mansion remains', but no trace of work older than present building. This is of 1858 by Brandon; red brick neo-Tudor, tall (three-storey) with shaped gable above door and turret with tall spire on east side. Now a school.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 26 April 1978.
Indeed (S1) marks a hall on this site.
E. Rose (NAU).
Norfolk County Council Inventory of Parks states that hall was erected 1860-61 and not 1858, as above, as estate was not acquired by Micklethwaite family until 1859. No details of the preceding building have been found.
Architects plan (1991) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).
Reference (S2) (copy in Norfolk General file) states that there is a kitchen garden by Soane, which if correct presumably suggests he may have designed the earlier house.
E. Rose (NLA) 19 April 1996.
13 July 1993. NLA air photography.
Photographs taken of hall/school and grounds. Parchmarks on lawn in front of house suggest presence of previous garden features and paths.
S. Massey (NLA) 7 February 2001.
15 October 1993. NLA air photography.
Clear photographs of school, fairly close, good detail.
H. Clare (NLA) 19 February 2001.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1858 AD to 1920 AD)
- SCHOOL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1920 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG1513 A-C. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TG 1513H; TG 1413F-G. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 1513N - T. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 688. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. [unknown]. 3 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...