|Type of record:||Building|
This 14th century village cross was restored in the late 19th century. The shaft is about 2m tall. In the 1730s there was a French inscription on the shaft and faint traces of this may remain.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1804 1358|
|Parish:||DRAYTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Reeded shaft about 2m high on stopangled base raised on two steps. 14th century. Restored 1879 with cement. Inscribed 'Vous che prie pur l'ame William de Bellamont. . .Johanne sa Femme. . . paser N. . .Ave Maria. . .depardonna avera'. Faint traces on shaft may be this inscription. An English translation without comment is strangely given on two metal plaques on the base, which reads very oddly. Traces of two other missing plaques.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 April 1978.
(S1) (from 1735) gives drawing of this showing inscription running up shaft.
E. Rose (NAU).
Ancient monument description (S2) in file.
'The socket stone of Barnack is 2 feet 6 inches square' (75cm).
But (S4) says 82.5 (2ft 9in), and restored in 1873.
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 9 February 1990.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Scheduled Monument
Sources and further reading
|---||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1809. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol X. 375. p 109. |
|---||Scheduling record: Corbishley, M.J.. 1983. AM107. |
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Report. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Drayton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Martin, T.. Church Notes. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. Scheduling Report. |
|<S3>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. pp 306-8. |
Related records - none
Find out more...