|Type of record:||Monument|
A large oval mass of flints in cement at the green is known as The Cross. This is probably the site of a medieval cross that was removed or demolished.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1335 1124|
|Parish:||EASTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
July 1977. Visit.
Large oval shaped mass of flints in cement, at green known as The Cross. Claimed by (S1) as base of cross. This is probably correct, assuming it is the pavement on which the cross stood, turned on its side. This patch of land is said to be the only piece still owned by the Stafford family.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 July 1977.
April 1999. Visit.
No change but very overgrown.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 April 1999.
(S2) notes that many crosses were overturned, even before the Reformation, not for religious reasons but from the belief that they marked buried treasure. Most of those removed in the 17th century disputes simply had the top taken off, so this may be one of the earlier examples.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 March 2003.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 11 SW 4 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Easton. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 308. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Thomas, K.. 1971. Religion and the Decline of Magic.. p 280. |
Related records - none
Find out more...