|Type of record:||Monument|
This brick bridge dates back to around 1630. It is called Mayton Bridge on Faden's map of Norfolk (1797). It has two arches, but only one of these now crosses the stream. The bridge was repaired in 1984.
Images - none
10 May 1978. Visit.
Around 1630, in Flemish Bond brickwork. On (S1) called Maiden Bridge. Two arches, but only one now crosses stream. On west side large cutwaters at each end with little roofed alcoves on top.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 May 1978.
Parapets damaged and repaired.
E. Rose (NAU).
The 1982 repairs were carried out in horribly unsympathetic brickwork. No change except very overgrown. Note the bridge now crosses only a tiny backwater leading to the moat at Mayton Hall. Is this the original river course? See NHER 13093.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 December 1998.
Scheduled monument consent granted concerning repairs to the bridge.
See (S2) for further information
H. White (NLA), 20 March 2009
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF98. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 22 SW 17 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 610. |
|---||Monograph: Labrun, E.A.. 1994. Civil Engineering Heritage, East and Central England.. p 117. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Horstead with Stanninghall. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Designation: DCMS. [?]-2016. Scheduled Monument Consent. SAM Consent. DNF98. |
Related records - none
Find out more...