|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Remains of Great Hautbois castle|
A medieval castle, built in the early 14th century. The foundations of buildings survive on a sub-rectangular platform, with a bailey and moat to the southeast.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 262 203|
|Parish:||COLTISHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of medieval castle built by Sir Robert Bainard in 1312, foundations of a porter's lodge and house remain.
License to crenellate granted in 1313.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) found the moat dry in June 1930.
The ditches around the site are narrow and probably not the original moat in their present form, though that on east is crossed by a flint causeway, called bridge by Clarke, only accessible now from interior.
Island is banked high especially on north and west where the ditch is some way from the slope.
Foundations of flint walls in good condition along ditch on southeast, poor on west; no traces of buildings within.
Raised area to east probably a bailey.
Causeway seen by Clarke (NHER 7679/context 1) running to TG 2640 2042 is faint and hard to make out.
(S1) says a monastic hospital founded in 1235 stood at first on the site, but this seems to be a confusion with NHER 7695.
(S2) refers to earthworks on the hill above the Bure between Great Hautbois Church and Coltishall, but (S1) indicates that that really refers to this site, though it could hardly be called a hill!
Visited E. Rose (NAU), 19 January 1978.
See survey of earthworks by  in (S3).
They believe causeway followed line of present road to church ruins, not that indicated by R. R. Clarke (NCM), and follow (S1) in placing the monastic hospital of 1235 here, or rather on the other side of the church ruins, though they give no source for this and only state that it is 'said to have been' here.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 October 1984.
A castle and building is shown on a map of 1671. See below (SNF7850)
R. J. Rickett, (NAU) 21 June 1990.
18 April 1996.
Large field between Castle Yard and Hautbois Road, see plan in file.
Area has been rotovated prior to reseeding, some topsoil dumped at north end of site and, it appears, new ponds and islands created at south end, probably enlarging the earlier pond.
If there was ever a causeway (context 1) running through here, all surface evidence of this has now been levelled or obscured.
D. Gurney (NLA), 19 April 1996.
Further earthmoving, for 'Agricultural Improvement', reported, between Castle Yard and the church.
Visited by NCC Enforcement Officer - no action necessary.
D. Gurney (NLA), 4 April 1997.
Earthwork survey at 1:10000, denoting amendments to survey by  of 1983 resulting from earthmoving/levelling to north and east.
B. Cushion (NLA), 6 July 1999.
- EARTHWORK (Unknown date)
- BAILEY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAUSEWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: H. Paterson (A&E), MPP. Section 17 Management Agreement. |
|---||Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A.. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 104. p 169. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Coltishall. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T.H.. Norfolk Churches.. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: 1852. Appendix. Extracts from the Proceedings of the Committee. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol III pp 415-427. p 427. |
|<S3>||Serial: Dollin, B. & Dollin, B.. 1984. Moated Sites Research Group Bulletin.. No 11, pp 15-17. p 15-17. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Purdy, R. J. W. 1907. Hautbois Magna. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XVI pp 147-152. p 149. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 524. |
Related records - none
Find out more...