|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Buxton Gilbert Union Workhouse and Buxton Incorporation House of Industry|
This is the site of a workhouse which started as a Gilbert Union workhouse in 1801, covering three parishes. It was enlarged to incorporate nine parishes in 1806 and renamed the Buxton Incorporation. Although the workhouse was built to accommodate 300 inhabitants, there were seldom more than 50 at any one time. The inmates were transferred to the purpose-built Aylsham workhouse in 1849.
Images - none
May 1978. Visit.
This has been demolished. Only a corner of a brick structure, possibly a shed, apparently 18th century, remains.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 May 1978.
This started as a Gilbert Union workhouse (after Thomas Gilbert M.P.) in 1801, covering three parishes. It was enlarged to incorporate nine parishes in 1806 and renamed the Buxton Incorporation. (S1). The nine parishes were Brampton, Burgh St Mary, Buxton, Hevingham, Marsham, Oxnead, Skeyton, Stratton Strawless and Swanton Abbott (S2).
(S3) notes that though the workhouse was built to accommodate three hundred paupers, there were seldom more than fifty inhabitants.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 1 September 2005.
The Gilbert Union workhouse at Buxton was adapted for use by Aylsham Union until 1849 when the inmates were transferred to the purpose-built Union workhouse at Aylsham.
Information from linked theme record.
M. Dennis (NLA), 2 August 2007.
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1700 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHED? (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
- WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1801 AD to 1849 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Digby, Ann. 1978. Pauper Palaces. |
|<S2>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Directory: White, W.. 1836. White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk.. 1st Edition. |
Related records - none
Find out more...