Record Details

NHER Number:7469
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Reepham

Summary

One of three churches in a single churchyard. It has a font of about 1200. The south tower, perhaps once a porch tower, and the south arcade are of about 1300. The remainder is probably 14th century, except for the porch, which is 15th century. The building was subjected to major 19th century alterations. Inside, amongst other things, is a 14th century De Kerdiston tomb of international importance, and also a 14th century brass.

Images

  • St Mary's and St Michael's Churches, Reepham.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1013 2285
Map Sheet:TG12SW
Parish:REEPHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Correctly named The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
One of three churches in one church yard, contains conglomerate.
Font of about 1200. South tower, perhaps once a porch gower, and south arcade of about 1300. Remainder probably 14th century, except for porch, which is 15th century. Major 19th century alterations. Contains 14th century De Kerdiston tomb of international importance, also 14th century brass.
See (S1) in file with copies of old plans. Listed (S2). See (S4) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 December 2000.

Churchyard wall is also listed, grade II (S5). Details included in survey of church.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 February 2005.

July 2011. Eastern Daily Press.
A memorial headstone has been placed in the grounds of the 13th century churchyard to commemorate 63 skeletons, believed to have been buried in the 14th century and uncovered during work to build a new storm drain in Church Street in 2007. The bones have revealed that a high proportion of the people suffered with conditions like osteoarthritis.
See (S3) for further details.
D. Lefeuvre (HES), 1 August 2011.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG1022 A-C,D,E.
---Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 323; Pl 9.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 1022F - K.
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1719.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 645-646; Pl 28.
---Article in Serial: Martindale, A. 1989. The Knights and the Bed of Stones: A Learned Confusion of the Fourteenth Century. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. Third Series Vol CXLII pp 66-74. p 66.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 303; Pl 41.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. [Illustration of St Mary's and St Michael's Church]. 27 June.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2000. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076872.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010-2011. [Articles on the 700 skeletons found at St Mary's Church, Reepham].
<S4>Unpublished Document: 2012. DAC Summer Tour Programme 2012: Salle; SS Peter and Paul, Reepham; St Mary, Whitwell; St Michael and All Angels, Wood Dalling; St Andrew, Thurning; St Andrew, Guestwick; St Peter.
<S5>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342807.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service