Record Details

NHER Number:7417
Type of record:Building
Name:Blickling and Oulton Gilbert Union Workhouse

Summary

This red brick building is the former workhouse serving Blickling and Oulton. It dates to the 18th to 19th century and was in use as a farm until it was purchased in 1804 for conversion into a workhouse. It closed in 1846 and the inmates were moved to Aylsham workhouse.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1564 2765
Map Sheet:TG12NE
Parish:OULTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Old workhouse according to (S1). Dates to the late 18th/early 19th century and built of red brick. It is very similar in appearance to a large farmhouse. Some doors and windows now blocked.
Visited E. Rose (NAU,) 21 March 1978.

See details in file which state that building existed as farm in 1804 when it was purchased as the Blickling and Oulton Gilbert Union workhouse. Photographs show that the building is more complicated in its history than above note suggests, and needs re-examination.
E. Rose (NAU) 24 July 1996.

September 2008.
Mid 18th century core with an early 19th century brick skin aded. 2 storeys, with a lobby entrance plan. Building shown on Faden's map and Enclosure map of 1818. Was leased from Lady Suffield in 1804 at a cost of £1100 and became a workhouse. In 1834 when the Poor Law Union established it was retained for the elderly but was actually used for the able bodied. In 1849 it held 85 inmates.
See (S2) for further details
H. White (NLA), 29 January 2009

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) WORKHOUSE (19th Century - 1804 AD to 1849 AD)
  • FARM (19th Century - 1804 AD to 1804 AD (pre))

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: 1840. Inventory of Oulton Workhouse.. January.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Records / Pastscape.
<S2>Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 2008. Blickling Estate, An Archaeological and Historical Landscape Survey. NAU Archaeology. 1399.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service