|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Andrew's Church, Longham|
A medieval and later parish church. The flint tower, nave and porch were built during the 14th or 15th centuries. The chancel was rebuilt in brick about 1890. A 15th century screen survives inside as does a 19th century font. A piece of possible Middle Saxon pottery has been found in the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9319 1619|
|Parish:||LONGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
16 September 1996.
Plaster removed from south wall of nave up to height of 1.5m (5 feet).
Flint rubble apart from part post medieval brick filled feature with vertical straight joint to east and west, minimum height
of 1.5m (5 feet). Sides 7.2m and 8.75m east of southwest corner of nave.
In churchyard surface of bare soil patch. 15m by 5m by 9m east of southeast quoin of nave. One rather thin body sherd, pimply ?Ipswich.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 18 September 1996.
Perpendicular (about 1335 to 1530) tower, south porch and nave. The tower has been reduced in height and is probably 15th century. Chancel rebuilt in brick about 1890, reusing windows. Font late 19th century. 15th century screen, dado with foliated spandrel and some original paint.
Information from (S1).
For further information see listed decription.
D. Robertson (NLA), 18 May 2006.
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1300 AD? to 2050 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Ladbrooke AS1-2. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9316 M,N,P,V,X,Y-AA,AB-AC,AD-AF. |
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. |
|---||Leaflet: Church of St Andrew, Longham.. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. p 528. |
Related records - none
Find out more...