Record Details

NHER Number:7272
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory moated site


A medieval moat and a post medieval house. The house is built of brick, two storeys tall, has a pantile roof and dates to the 18th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9048 1540
Map Sheet:TF91NW

Full description

Moat (OS) and Old Rectory.
(S1) claims the moat, though marked as an antiquity, is only an 18th to 19th century landscaping feature.
But (S2) shows an outer enclosure to northeast confirming this is a medieval site.
The Old Rectory (now subdivided, part called Moat House) is a building of two and a half storeys, five bays, central bay on façade projecting with doorcase, gable stacks, pantiled.
(S3) dates to 1793 but sale advertisment (S4) (in file) dates to 1734-1770. Late 18th century date seems more accurate from photograph.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 October 1986.

Second advertisement (S5) claims Tudor origins.

Monument Types

  • ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TF 9015A-D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Beeston with Bittering.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 91 NW 13.
<S2>Map: 1840. Beeston with Bittering tithe map.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry Unknown.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Ancient site. 18 October.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Ideal home. 29 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service