Record Details

NHER Number:7216
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Bawdeswell

Summary

The site of a medieval church with 18th and 19th century elements. In 1739 the tower collapsed, destroying much of the nave. Rebuilding and renovation work followed. In November 1944 an RAF plane returning from a raid in Germany crashed and destroyed the building, believed to be the only time in the war when a church was wrecked by an aircraft, though others were destroyed or damaged bombs or other objects dropped from the air. A replacement church, the exisiting Georgian style building, was built in 1952.

Images

  • All Saints' Church in Bawdeswell was built in 1952 after the medieval church was destroyed during World War Two. The church has a Tuscan style porch.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0466 2091
Map Sheet:TG02SW
Parish:BAWDESWELL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1982.
Original church claimed as Norman, altered in 14th century. Collapsed 1740 and part rebuilt. Totally rebuilt 1844; destroyed 1944, rebuilt 1952. Some old fragments remain.
See (S1), (S2), photographs (S3) and press cuttings (S4) to (S9) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 September 1982.

Listed (S10).

September 2004.
For masonry fragments probably from the Victorian church see NHER 14173.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 September 2004.

July 2005.
The site of a medieval church with 18th and 19th century elements. In 1739 the tower collapsed, destroying much of the nave. Rebuilding and renovation work followed. In November 1944 an RAF plane returning from a raid in Germany crashed and destroyed the building. A replacement church, the existing Georgian style building, was built in 1952.
See report on crash (S11) in file.
D. Robertson (NLA), 22nd July 2005.

Historic building report.
All Saints Church is a Neo-Georgian structure that was built in 1953-5 by J. Fletcher-Watson on the site of a 19th century church that was itself built on the site of a medieval church. The west tower surmounted with a bleached oak bellcote with singled spirelet; aisleless nave divided into five bays by buff brick pilasters; porch of four Tuscan columns supporting a pedimented entablature; apsidal chancel.
See (S12) for further details.
S. Howard (NLA), 14 June 2010.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval to World War Two - 1740 AD to 1944 AD)
  • CHURCH (Cold War to Modern - 1952 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Ladbrooke.
---Unpublished document: Martin, T.. Church Notes.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Crash plane relic lands up as museum exhibit. 11 November.
---Illustration: Reeve, E.. 1846. South-East View of Bawdeswell Church.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Your views on this church. 9 March.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1982. Building Report..
<S2>Illustration: July 1980. Norfolk Fair.
<S3>Photograph: CBZ7-12, CLH3,4, CBT2,5, BVA10 (inc Ladbrooke).
<S4>Newspaper Article: ?Norwich Mercury. [unknown]. Norwich Church Destroyed (photograph). 18 January.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Norfolk News. 1950. Drawing of ruins of All Saint's Church. 3 February.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Lantern Legacy. 28 May.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Wartime crash pilots honoured. 6 November.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Church's chance to join heritage. 29 February.
<S9>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Church symbol of heritage. 29 September.
<S10>Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S11>Unpublished document: Collis, R.J.. Mosquito KB364, Bawdeswell, Norfolk.
<S12>Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. Historic building report for All Saints Church, The Street, Bawdeswell, Dereham, Norfolk..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service