|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Church of St Margaret, Stanfield|
St Margaret's Church is a small rural parish church with a nave, chancel and west tower. It is thought that the stone quoins on this largely flint building may date to the Late Saxon or early Norman period, but the building is predominantly an untouched example of Early English style. The only significant additions are the late Perpendicular style square windows in the nave, and the east window of 1864, in an Early English style. Inside is a plain octagonal font, a Jacobean pulpit with 18th century tester, a simple 15th century screen, and benches with rustic late medieval poppyheads. From the churchyard several Roman and medieval pottery sherds have been recovered.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9395 2076|
|Parish:||STANFIELD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Small flint and stone church with west tower, nave, chancel and south porch.
13th century Early English style chancel and tower. The nave has a 15th century window. Possible Late Saxon or Saxo-Norman quoins may indicate that the nave may form the basic remains of an earlier building.
Inside are carved bench ends, a plain octagonal font and Jacobean woodwork.
See (S1) for further details.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 March 1984.
January 1984. Excavation of dry area, surface finds collected.
Roman and medieval pottery sherds. These are now in Norwich Castle Museum.
A. Rogerson (NAU), 1984.
January - February 1986. Excavation of further dry area.
No finds were made except for some fragments of bone. The foundations of the church were shown to be of rubble flint with large flint foundations for the buttresses.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 February 1986.
- CHURCH? (Late Saxon - 851 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2100 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Ladbrooke AS14-15. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9320 A,B,E-F. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 195-200. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. [unknown]. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 668-669. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1984. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...