Record Details

NHER Number:7092
Type of record:Building
Name:Happisburgh lighthouse and associated buildings

Summary

This lighthouse is flanked by two single storey houses. Built in 1791, it is circular and five storeys tall. It is currently painted red and white, although during World War Two it was painted in a camouflage pattern.

Images

  • A World War Two pillbox  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • Happisburgh lighthouse in May 2010  © Norfolk County Council
  • Happisburgh lighthouse in March 2011  © Norfolk County Council
  • Happisburgh lighthouse from the air in June 1985  © Norfolk County Council
  • Postcard of Happisburgh lighthouse in 1902 showing the two gas holders installed to store the gas generated on the site.  © Norfolk County Council

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3841 3063
Map Sheet:TG33SE
Parish:HAPPISBURGH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

October 1978. Visit.
High Lighthouse, 1791. Circular, five storeys each divided by string course capped by narrower lantern. Painted red and white. Set between two bay single storey houses with central chimneys. Was once the only lighthouse to make its own gas.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 October 1978.

Press cuttings (S1) to (S21) in file.

26 August 1997. NLA aerial photography.
Lighthouse and cottages visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 29 March 2001.

September 2004. Norfolk NMP.
Examination of 1940 aerial photographs during NMP mapping showed that the lighthouse and its perimeter wall were painted with a camouflage pattern during World War Two (S22). See also related barbed wire defences (NHER 38770) and pillbox (NHER 15917).
J. Albone (NMP), 1 September 2004.

2007. Condition Survey and Environmental monitoring.
Visual inspection of the structure in order to identify materials, methods of construction and relevant features and primary and secondary defects and their prognosis. Prioritised repair recommendations also made. Environmental monitoring was also undertaken to determine air temperature and relative humidity levels within the lighthouse.
Work commissioned as part of the University of Lincoln Pharos Project.
See reports (S23) and (S24) for further details. See also subsequently produced Conservation Management Plan (S25).
P. Watkins (HES), 27 February 2014.

Monument Types

  • HIGH LIGHT (18th Century to 21st Century - 1791 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1791 AD to 2100 AD)
  • LIGHTHOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1791 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG3830 F-L.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306338.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG3929/F,G; TG3930/G, H, J.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TG3831/D.
---Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. NHER TG 3830AM-AQ (NLA 357/HHJ12-15) 15-AUG-1995.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 540-541.
---Leaflet: Happisburgh Lighthouse.
---Publication: 1982. Happisburgh: Lighthouse and Church.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. A landmark lifesaver and artists' inspiration. 11 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. [Article on Happisburgh]. 24 March.
---Article in Serial: William Orford. 1987. Between the lights.. Country Life. 8 October, p4.
---Photograph: 1996. Happisburgh Lighthouse. Print.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. North Norfolk landmark in new light. 13 May.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. [Articles on the closing of Happisburgh lighthouse].
<S11>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988-1991. [Articles on the funding and passing of the bill to protect Happisburgh lighthouse].
<S12>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990-1998. [Articles on the painting of Happisburgh lighthouse].
<S13>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Rescuers answer call to the lighthouse. 6 February.
<S14>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991-1995. [Articles on the Happisburgh lighthouse being opened to visitors].
<S18>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Fancy a lighthouse as a neighbour?. 16 February.
<S22>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1940. NMR TG 3830/29 (MSO 31022 26/BR14/15 4862) 19-SEP-1940.
<S23>Unpublished Contractor Report: Hutton+Rostron. 2007. Condition Survey of Happisburgh Lighthouse, Happisburgh, Norfolk. Hutton+Rostron Environmental Investigations.
<S24>Unpublished Contractor Report: Hutton+Rostron. 2007. Environmental Monitoring at Happisburgh Lighthouse, Happisburgh, Norfolk. Hutton+Rostron Environmental Investigations.
<S25>Unpublished Contractor Report: Hutton+Rostron. 2007. Conservation Management Plan for Happisburgh Lighthouse, Happisburgh, Norfolk. Hutton+Rostron Environmental Investigations.

Related records

15435Related to: Site of Happisburgh Low Lighthouse (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service