Record Details

NHER Number:703
Type of record:Monument
Name:Gibson's Conduit (St Lawrence's Well), Lower Westwick Street


This conduit was built in 1576 and survives in a moderate condition. However it was reset in a boundary wall during the 1980s. It was restored to its former glory in 2009-11 by the Norwich Preservation Trust, with the assistance of a grant from Norfolk County Council.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 22803 08785
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

16th century conduit. Reset in boundary wall in 1980s.
See (S1) for details.
Schedule in file.

April 2009.
Scheduled monument consent granted regarding the dismantling of the monument, conservation of the stonework and the reconstruction of the monument with a new brick surround and lead roof.
See (S2) for further details
H. White (NLA), 13 May 2009.

June 2010.
Once Gybson's Conduit has been reconstructed it is proposed that new railings should be erected to provide some protection to the monument.
See (S3).
S. Howard (NLA), 12 July 2010.

For details of the restoration project, railings etc, see (S4).

Monument Types

  • CONDUIT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1576 AD to 2050 AD)
  • WELL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1576 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Knights, M.. 1887. The Highways and Byways of Old Norwich. pp 63, 55. pp 63, 55.
---Article in serial: Knights, M. 1888. St. Lawrence's Well, Norwich, and Gibson's Conduit. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol X pp 185-191. p 185.
<S1>Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 272.
<S2>Scheduling record: DCMS. 2009. Scheduled Monument Consent.
<S3>Unpublished document: Purcell Miller Tritton LLP. 2010. Gybson's Conduit - Proposed Railings: Design and Access Statement..
<S4>Publication: Architectural Heritage Fund. 2011. Gybson's Conduit.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Norwich Evening News. 2011. Finally restored to its former glory.. 21 November.

Related records

Mon 1389Parent of: Westwick Street (North side from Coslany Street to Charing Cross) (Monument)
Mon 1171Part of: Lower Westwick Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service