Record Details

NHER Number:6804
Type of record:Building
Name:Templewood

Summary

Built as a base for country activities, Templewood incorporates architectural fragments from Nuthall Temple in Nottinghamshire and the Old Bank of England. Constructed in 1938 in Palladian style, the house is in excellent condition and is set in parkland and approached down a long tree-lined avenue.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2571 3823
Map Sheet:TG23NE
Parish:NORTHREPPS, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1978. Site visit.
Built 1938 as shooting box for Lord Templewood by Seely and Paget. Incorporates fragments from Nuthall Temple, Nottinghamshire 1754, and old Bank of England by Soane. From Nuthall Temple are sphinxes on west approach, stone staircase to south, a shortened wrought iron balcony rail, stands which derive from the interior gallery of the dome, the east terrace, and plaques of hanging garlands. From the Bank derive the columns on west and south. The house itself is in Palladian style. Excellent condition.
Newspaper cuttings (S1) and (S2) in file.
Visited E. Rose 14 March 1978.

(S3) 1939 article on the construction of the building added to file. First page only available.
A. Yardy (HES), 16 August 2011.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Modern - 1938 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished document: Yardley, C.J.. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project.. p 11.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: 27 May 1977. Eastern Daily Press.
<S2>Newspaper Article: 5 September . Eastern Daily Press.
<S3>Article in serial: S. Hoare. 1939. Templewood, Norfolk. Country Life.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service