|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of old St Michael's Church, Sidestrand|
Old St Michael's church was demolished in 1880 because it was threatened by coastal erosion. Only the tower was left standing but collapsed over the cliff in 1916. A new church (NHER 6803) was built further inland in 1880 and many of the architectural features of the old church were used in the construction.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2623 4005|
|Parish:||SIDESTRAND, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Had tower, nave and chancel. East and south chancel windows were blocked, but on east window mullion figure of angel or saint with cup. Recess in east wall: piscina. Easter sepulchre. Nave windows were Perpendicular. South porch had niche. Carved bench ends. Octagonal font. Stone coffin lid inscribed with cross in circle, in churchyard see (S1). Tower with octagonal top collapsed 1841, rebuilt as round with pointed cap. 1880 church demolished except tower and rebuilt with same materials on site NHER 6803. During demolition, portions of 15th century stone cross of unusual form inscribed 'orate p aia Wolli Attewod' found in fill behind wallplate on south side. Tower fell over cliff 1916. Last portion of churchyard wall fell after 1936. Setting of Clement Scott's 'Garden of Sleep'.
14 March 1978.
Confirmed site totally over cliff.
E. Rose (NAU).
Appropriate section from (S2) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Sidestrand. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T.H.. Norfolk Churches.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. |
Related records - none
Find out more...