Record Details

NHER Number:6697
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Medieval gold reliquary

Summary

A lovely example of a late 15th century gold reliquary, showing the Crucifixion with the figures of a bishop and St John the Baptist. The reliquary was found before 1847 in a field.

Images

  • A late 15th century gold reliquary from Matlaske, showing the Crucifixion with the figures of a bishop and St John the Baptist  © Norfolk County Council

Location

Parish:MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Before 1847.
Reliquary 3.1cm (1 1/4in) long. Gold with niello. Showing crucifixion. St John the Baptist and Bishop. Late 15th century work found in clay field.
See (S1) to (S5).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

See photographs in file.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • RELIQUARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Matlask.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: Fitch, R. 1852. On a Gold Niello found at Matlask, Norfolk. Vol III pp 97-104.
<S2>Article in Monograph: 1851. Catalogue of Antiquities. Exhibited in the Museum formed during the Annual Meeting of the Archaeological Institute, held at Norwich, in 1847. Memoirs Illustrative of the History and Antiquities of Norfolk and the City. Archaeological Institute. pp xxiii-lvi. p xliii.
<S3>Article in Serial: 1856. Proceedings at Meetings of the Archaeological Institute. The Archaeological Journal. Vol XIII pp 81-91. p 88.
<S4>Serial: 1858. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. vol.XIV p.176.
<S5>Publication: 1930. V & A Exhibition of English Medieval Art 1930. pl.69 no.832.
<S7>Photograph: Matlaske reliquary.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service