|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Town Barningham or Barningham Winter, Matlask|
The medieval tower, nave and the south porch are all in ruins. The chancel, which has an extension dating to 1830, is still is use. The 19th century extension projects westwards into the area of the ruined nave. The church has a 15th century brass, medieval stained glass and a disused octagonal font.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1466 3568|
|Parish:||MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Decorated tower, shattered at top, tall tower arch, and above rough slit window into now roofless Decorated nave with north and south doors unusually in centre of walls, south door having an elaborate porch, also roofless: outer step is medieval coffin slab. Both door arches are larger inside than out. Chancel of same date, tracery renewed in part, blocked ogee priest's door; but with west extension into nave added in either 1830 or 1874, probably latter: church was restored in both years. It has an upper gallery reached by an external stair to an old door reset. Stepped gables on chancel - date? - and it was obviously walled off before the extension was added because in the slight step between the two (on line of original nave wall) is a blocked window. The chancel arch remains inside however. Sedilia and piscina under the set of four arches, each stepped down at base. Early 15th century brass. Hatchments. Old stained glass, some Flemish reset as memorial. Arms of Charles II in stained glass in east window. Good early 19th century Gothick memorials. 17th to 18th century floor tombs. Octagonal font disused under tower. Chalice and patens unmarked. In fairly good condition though crumbling.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 3 February 1977.
Listed grade II*, see (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 July 2006.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG1435 C, D, E-G. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 1435/ AN. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 11-16. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 13 NW 11. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 378. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049180. |
|<S2>||Photograph: Tuttle, D.. 2006. [unknown]. |
|30431||Related to: Barningham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...