|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Briston|
The chancel of the church dates to the 13th century, but it is suggested that an earlier church stood here since the Norman conquest and there are reports of a round Saxon tower which fell at sometime in the 18th century, although no trace of it can be seen now. The building was remodelled when the nave and aisle were added around 1320. The aisle was later demolished. Some windows date to the 15th century and there has been some late 19th century restoration. The church owns a iron cello made by the village blacksmith in 1699 that was played in 1999 to celebrate its 300th birthday.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0623 3257|
|Parish:||BRISTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
?Rood beam supporting royal arms across chancel arch removed some time before 1865.
E. Rose (NLA).
(S2) notes that the churchwardens of Wiveton were responsible for the chancel of this church in the 17th century. The accounts for 1612 refer to 'glazing Burston (=Briston) chancel' and 'mending a piller (sic) of the church window' (but this latter could refer to Wiveton).
E. Rose (NLA).
Chancel 13th century, remodelled when nave and aisle added around 1320; aisle later demolished. Some 15th century windows. Unsubstantiated story of round tower that fell in the 18th century. Late 19th century restoration. Contains iron cello of 1700.
See (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 April 2005.
Before 9 November 2005. Casual find while grave digging.
Post medieval pottery sherd.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 14 December 2005
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 33-38. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 414. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Metal cello to be played again. 10 September. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. pp 180-181. |
|<S2>||Publication: Wright, J.. 2002. The Glaven Historian. No 4. pp 40-42. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...