Record Details

NHER Number:6536
Type of record:Monument
Name:Edgefield Mount

Summary

The Mount was though to have been a feature of some antiquity or a post medieval telegraph station, but a windmill is shown in this position on Faden's map of 1797. The mill went out of use in 1833.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0871 3438
Map Sheet:TG03SE
Parish:EDGEFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Marked as antiquity on (S1).

Not a barrow? See (S2).
R. R. Clarke (NCM)

Mill House stands on it.
Forestry Commission land.
(S3) suggests telegraph station.
Smock mill shown here on (S4); replaced by postmill 1804; burnt down 1815 postmill 'recently erected' in 1829; last used 1833.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1982.

Monument Types

  • SIGNAL STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL MOUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Edgefield.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. 1st edition OS.
<S2>Publication: Clarke, W.G.. MSS. p.126.
<S3>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B.. 1957. The Holt Road. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 163-177. pp 175-176.
<S4>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service