|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Peter's Church and the possible site of a medieval chapel, Sheringham|
A Victorian church, built between 1895 and 1897. It is constructed of red brick faced with knapped flint. It stands close to the site of an early 19th century mission chapel and may be located on the site of a medieval chapel (although see NHER 13181). It was established as a daughter church of All Saints, Upper Sheringham (NHER 6305) and in 1953 became the parish church for Sheringham. A watching brief in 2005 was negative.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1569 4322|
|Parish:||SHERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Chapel, built 1895 to 1897.
On site of mission chapel of 1841 and possibly a medieval chapel (see NHER 13181).
(S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).
August 2005. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks associated with the construction of a new church hall and facilities.
Medieval chapel not located, no other features or deposits of archaeological interest.
See report (S3) for further details.
J. Allen (NLA), 24 April 2007.
Red brick, faced with knapped flints, slate roof.
Built as a daughter church of All Saints, Upper Sheringham (NHER 6305), in 1953 became parish church for Sheringham.
The mission chapel was a chapel of ease, built in 1842; services finished in 1897 with the opening of St Peter's Church. The mission chapel was used as a church hall until 1956, then demolished in 1969, when the blocks of flats called Temple Court were built.
Information from (S4).
Shingled bell turret, Early English in style.
Information from (S5).
D. Robertson (NLA), 20 December 2005.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
- BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- NAIL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PANTILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 178-181. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Year of praise for centenary. 3 February. |
|---||Photograph: 2000. North elevation of St Peter's Church as existing. |
|---||Leaflet: Church tours in Brisley and Elham Rural Deanery.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Cock back on its perch. 21 September. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. [Photograph of St Peter's Church, Sheringham]. 8 September. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Boyle, M. 2007. An Archaeological Watching Brief at St Peter's Church, Sheringham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 1099. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Windross, T.. St Peter's Church, Sheringham: A Brief History and Guide.. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 663. |
Related records - none
Find out more...