|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Duke's Palace Bridge and associated archaeological finds|
The original bridge dates to 1822 and is made from cast iron. In 1972 it was dismantled and this process uncovered several pits containing horn cores and a fragment of a post medieval jug. It was proposed that the dismantled bridge was sold for scrap but it was saved from this fate in 1991 when it was re-erected at the Castle Mall shopping centre.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2294 0887|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
September 1972. Rebuilding of bridge over Wensum and widening of Duke Street.
Horn cores from pits on northeast side of bridge. Bellarmine jug fragment found.
Old bridge to be re-erected at Castle Mall 1991.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).
Press cutting (S1) in file
Original bridge dates from 1822 and is in cast iron.
See press cutting (S2) in file.
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1822 AD to 1972 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Old time spanner for the Mall. 5 June. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Mall bridges the old and the new. 4 September. |
|Site 1313||Parent of: Dukes Palace Bridge (Monument)|
|Mon 1356||Part of: Colegate (from Duke Street to Water Lane) (Monument)|
|Mon 1227||Part of: River Wensum (Monument)|
Find out more...