|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||70 The Close|
Formerly part of the Carnary College (NHER 26082), now a school and school offices. The building dates to about 1830 but has extensive 14th and 15th century remains.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2336 0889|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Formerly part of Carnary College, now school and school offices. Dates to about 1830 with extensive 14th and 15th century remains. Rendered, slate roof. Three storeys, eight bays. Left-hand off centre door with 15th century moulded two-centre arch in re-made flint and brick porch with attached shafts and two centre arch. 15th century doorway and staircase to the Carnary Chapel at extreme right-hand side. Sash windows throughout with glazing bars and moulded surrounds. Stringcourse between first and second floors. Box cornice. Founded 1316 by Bishop Salmon. Dissolved 1548 and used used as school since.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
1985. Norwich Survey.
Evidence of a nucleus of 14th century, but mainly 19th century.
See (S2), which includes (S3).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 21 July 2004.
- CHANTRY COLLEGE (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1539 AD)
- SCHOOL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: Saunders, H. W. 1932. A History of the Norwich Grammar School. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Letter from city planning officer. |
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
|26082||Part of: The Old Charnel House, The Close (Carnary Chapel) (Building)|
Find out more...