Record Details

NHER Number:6173
Type of record:Building
Name:Langham Hall

Summary

A Greek Revival house of about 1820 said to have been designed by the owner, the Reverend Rippinghall. The house has a simplified Doric porch and pilasters. It was used as a hospital by the RAF during World War Two.

Images

  • Medieval seal matrix from NHER 60173  © Norfolk County Council
  • Romano-British plate brooch from NHER 60173  © Norfolk County Council
  • Medieval vessel from NHER 60173  © Norfolk County Council
  • Medieval vessel from NHER 60173  © Norfolk County Council
  • Romano-British brooch from NHER 60173  © Norfolk County Council
  • Romano-British figurine from NHER 60173  © Norfolk County Council
  • Late Saxon stirrup from NHER 60173  © Norfolk County Council

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0078 4134
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:LANGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

About 1820 on older site.
Used as RAF hospital in World War Two.
Barn to north dated 1722.
(S1) describes as 'stripped Greek Revival' designed by Rev S.F. Rippinghall, 2 storeys 5 bays, 2 storey 1 bay wing, and lower wing opposite. Doric porch.
See (S1) for more details.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 July 1983.

(S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOSPITAL (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: 1993. TG 0041/ C, D, E, F, G.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 584.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049456.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Hall has a holiday bonus. 11 August.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service