|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bishop Bridge, Bishopgate|
It is recorded that Bishop Bridge was begun in 1340. The current building is of flint with brick and stone dressings, with three spans of segmental stone arches on piers. It has been maintained by the city since 1393, before which it was owned by the Priory. A gate (NHER 26015) was erected on the bridge in the 13th or 14th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23991 08990|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Bridge built around 1340 onwards. Flint with brick dressings. Stone and brick. Three spans of segmental stone arches on piers. Parapet with semi-circular return at west end and wrought iron lamp standard on north side. Bishopesbrege (1269) Schram. Maintained by city since 1393 and previously by Prior. Gate erected mid 14th century. Licence for building 1275 (Whittingham's map of close). Three arched bridge with modern parapet (?built by Spank mid 14th century (S1), but (S2) says it was erected or rebuilt 1295.
See also documentary sources (S3) and (S4).
Compiled R. R. Clarke (NCM).
See schedule in file.
Reference (S5) however states bridge is late 13th century by Richard Spynk (not Spank) and passed from the control of the priory into that of the city in 1393. The gatehouse was demolished 1790.
Compiled by E. Rose 13 January 1997.
February 1998. Watching brief carried out on Bishop Bridge by NAU during repaving works.
Excavation revealed an ashlar wall which formed the south side of the tower, abutted by the remains of a substantial brick buttress.
Compiled by J. Allen, 9 November 2000.
See press cuttings (S6), (S7), (S8), (S9), (S10) and (S11).
T. Sunley (NLA) 7 November 2007.
- BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: NAU. 1997-1998. NAU Annual Report.. pp 40-41. |
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Decay in this fine old city is the 'elephant in the room'. 11 September. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Hannah, I. C. 1914. The Heart of East Anglia : the story of Norwich from earliest to latest times. p 81. |
|<S2>||Publication: Blyth, G. K. 1842. The Norwich Guide. p 137. |
|<S3>||Publication: Hudson, W. and Tingey, J. C.. 1910. The Records of the City of Norwich. Vol 2. p 217. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 402. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Labrun, E.A.. 1994. Civil Engineering Heritage, East and Central England.. p 120. p 120. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 26 Aug 1994. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 19 Oct 1992. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2 Nov 1995. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 29 Oct 1999. |
|<S10>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 14 May 1992. |
|<S11>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 7 Nov 1998. |
|<S12>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 380. |
|Site 2482||Parent of: Bishop Bridge (Monument)|
|Mon 1204||Parent of: Bishops Gate Bridge (Early Bridge) (Monument)|
|Mon 584||Parent of: Bishop's Gate Bridge (Monument)|
|Mon 1227||Parent of: River Wensum (Monument)|
Find out more...