|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Mary's Church, Langham Parva|
This is the site of St Mary's, the parish church of Langham Parva, which was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The church was in ruins by 1602 and there are now no visible traces of the building.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0042 4136|
|Parish:||LANGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Site of' on Ordnance Survey.
Stones in hedge on east marks line of east wall? Nothing found in building houses to east.
Information from J. Denny (NNDC).
E. Rose (NAU).
Information from (S1) in file.
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 25 April 1990
Appropriate section from (S2) on file.
(S2) notes that the church is recorded in the Domesday Book, and was in ruins by 1602. In 1743, when the parishes of Cockthorpe and Langham Parva (Little Langham) were united with Blakeney and Glandford the church was described as 'demolished beyond the memory of man'.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 25 April 2006
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Langham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 189; p 54. |
|<S2>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Records / Pastscape. |
Related records - none
Find out more...