|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Miles or Coslany Bridge|
This river bridge was originally built in 1186-1210 from timber. It was rebuilt in stone in 1521 and then in cast iron in 1804. It is a single span example with simple parapet rails. It may well be the oldest metal bridge in East Anglia and is made from five bolted sections.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2278 0885|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
River bridge. 1804 on panel. Built by James Frost. Cast iron. Stone abutments. Single span with simple parapet rails. Panelled sides. Coslanie Bridge (1186-1210) according to (S1).
Originally of timber, rebuilt stone 1521, replaced cast iron 1804.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
'Coslany was originally one of the most ancient of the city bridges'. See (S1).
See file NCM for further details.
1990. Watching Brief during repair works.
Cast iron bracing, brick arched base, stone abutments visible. Whole length of bridge exposed, half width.
See details in file.
J. E. Bown (NAU) 26 October 1990
Reference (S2) states possibly the oldest metal bridge in East Anglia.
James Frost worked in St Faith's Lane.
Approximately 11m (36ft 2ins) long, four cast iron ribs each of five bolted sections.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 January 1997.
See Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society fiche (S3) for further details.
- BRIDGE (Medieval to Modern - 1186 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Monograph: West, J. R. 1932. St. Benet of Holme, 1020-1210. The eleventh and and twelfth century sections of Cott. Ms. Galba E.ii, the register of the abbey of St. Benet of Holme. Norfolk Record Society Publications. Vol II. p 152. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Labrun, E.A.. 1994. Civil Engineering Heritage, East and Central England.. p 118. p 118. |
|<S3>||Fiche: Exists. |
|Mon 1053||Parent of: St Miles Bridge (Coslany Bridge) (Monument)|
|Site 1290||Parent of: St. Miles Bridge, Coslany Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1067||Part of: Coslany Street / Oak Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1227||Part of: River Wensum (Monument)|
Find out more...