|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of All Saints' Church, Norwich|
All Saint's Church is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1166 AD. The site is uncertain, but it may be Magdalen Street or Westlegate. Blomefield records that in 1550 the church was granted by the Dean and Chapter to the mayor and citizens, who promptly pulled it down and sold the materials and the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2318 0944|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Magdalen Street at north corner of Cowgate.
Mentioned in Domesday Book of 1166 AD.
Identified by (S1) as Magdalen Street but (S2) regards it as All Saints, Westlegate. (S1) regards it as a pre-conquest foundation. 1368 shared ornaments with St Saviours. Taken down 1550 - annexed to St Pauls.
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD? to 1550 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 14. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Winning view of old churches. 10 December. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S1>||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 173. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 320. |
|Site 2863||Parent of: All Saints' Church, Fyebridgegate (Monument)|
|Mon 1451||Parent of: All Saints' Churchyard, Fyebridgegate (Monument)|
Find out more...