|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Botolph's Church, Norwich|
The Church of St Botolph was a Scandinavian dedication, situated north of Stump Cross. It was demolished in 1548, when the parish was united to St Saviours. In 1967 human skeletal remains were uncovered during the construction work on Anglia Square, presumably derived from the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23128 09388|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Church of St Botolph.
Scandinavian dedication. North of Stump Cross.
Demolished 1548 (S1) and parish united to St Saviours.
Compiled to R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Skeletal remains uncovered by mechanical digger making trial hole near junction of Botolph Street with Magdalen Street.
Bones handed in by Coroners Office. 
W. Milligan (NCM).
Male skull around 30 yrs old, possibly post medieval. 
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 321. |
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N6; p 175. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 35. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Norwich Record Society. [unknown]. Norwich Record Society. Vol XIX, p XIV. p 14. |
|<S2>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 75-76. |
|Mon 749||Parent of: St Botolph's Church (Monument)|
|Mon 1239||Parent of: Stump Cross (Rebuild) (Monument)|
Find out more...