|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Michael's Church, Tombland, Norwich|
The site, in the middle of Tombland where the 19th century granite obelisk now stands, of a Late Saxon church, possibly the oldest in Norwich. It was demolished by 1119.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2334 0877|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
(S1) says it 'was one of the oldest churches (if not the very first) in this city; it stood near the midst of Tombland, which is so called from the tombs then in it, it being the largest burial place in the city, and before the cathedral was built, was the principal church; it was founded by the Earls of East Angle, long before the Confessor's time…'
The church of St Michael was mentioned in Domesday Book of 1166 AD.
It was mentioned in foundation deed of Cathedral Priory of 1101
(Dugdale Mon. IV, 15-16).
It was demolished by Herbert de Losinga before 1119 and a stone cross was erected on site; ?now represented by obelisk.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).
The obelisk is a 19th century fountain and unconnected - see 26526
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Blomefield, F.. 1806. The History of the City and County of Norwich. |
|Mon 804||Part of: Tombland (Monument)|
Find out more...