|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Winwaloe/Catherine's Church, Surrey Street, Norwich|
This church was first dedicated to St Winewaloci or Winewaloy, commonly called Winall, however at the time of Norwich Domesday it was rededicated to St Catherine. It was given by King Stephen to his nuns at Carrow, but in 1349 the whole parish was almost depopulated by the great pestilence. As a result the church was made a chapel, and after some private ownership it became the chapel for St Giles' Hospital in 1567. At some point the buildings were demolished.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2326 0778|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
The church was first dedicated to St Winewaloci or Winewaloy, commonly called Winall. At the time of Norwich Domesday it was rededicated to St Catherine. It was given by King Stephen to his nuns at Carrow. In 1349 the whole parish was almost depopulated by the great pestilence. The church was made a chapel after this and after some private ownership became the chapel for St Giles Hospital in 1567.
See file for further details.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to 14th Century - 851 AD? to 1349 AD)
- CHURCHYARD (Late Saxon to 16th Century - 851 AD? to 1599 AD?)
- CHAPEL (14th Century to 16th Century - 1349 AD to 1599 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 321. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 106. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 143-425. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 321. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Page, W. (ed.). 1906. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 2. p 465. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Campbell, J. 1975. [Draft text for inclusion as footnote in Cambell's article on Norwich in 'The Atlas of Historic Towns: Vol 2']. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N49; pp 9, 11, 175, 182. |
|<S6>||Publication: Blyth, G. K. 1842. The Norwich Guide. p 138. |
|<S7>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 14. |
|<S8>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1936. The Parish Churches of Norfolk & Norwich. p 173. |
|<S9>||Monograph: Watkin, A. 1947-8. Archdeaconry of Norwich: Inventory of Church Goods, temp. Edward III (Parts I and II). Norfolk Record Society Publications. XIX. p 15. |
Related records - none
Find out more...