|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Edmund's Church, Fishergate, Norwich|
The current building of St Edmunds Church dates to the 15th and 16th centuries and is of flint with stone and brick dressings. The south chapel dates to 1441, and the dedication suggests a pre-Saxon origin. The church became redundant during the 19th century, surrounded on three sides by a massive factory building and the sprawl of this area which used to be largely in industrial use. During this time the church was in use as a warehouse, however it has since been briefly reconverted to Christian worship, and is now in use by the Norwich Pregnancy Crisis group as a counselling and advice centre.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23334 09164|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former parish church now redundant. 15th and 16th century. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Slate roof. West tower. Nave and chancel in one. South aisle and south chapel. North porch and 19th century vestry. Three-stage tower with two-stage diagonal buttresses. Single-storey porch. Fine butt-purlin roof. 1441. South chapel added to aisle-less nave and chancel. Late 15th century, the chapel was extended to form the south aisle and in early 16th century extended east to form chancel aisle. Dedication suggests pre 1066.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
For more details see DoE list of buildings (S1) and list in file of documentary evidence including 1359 building of vestry and paving of chancel, 1467 south aisle chapel made, 1672 tower repaired.
30 December 1992 and 4 January 1993. Watching Brief.
Work underway to convert redundant church back into religious use. Blocked doorway discovered in south aisle and foundations of porch. See notes (S6) in file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 5 February 1993.
Reference (S4) notes that quite remarkably the living was still in secular hands in the 14th century suggesting this may have originated as a Saxon eigenkirche or proprietary church.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 3 June 1994.
Press cutting (S5) in file.
E. Rose (NLA).
See also Alan Carter's Building Survey (S6) in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 6 November 2007.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to Modern - 851 AD to 2050 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey. |
|---||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1993. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1992. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt IV pp 522-532. p 529. |
|---||Leaflet: Norwich Historic Churches Trust & HEART. St Edmund, Fishergate.. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Unpublished Contractor Report: Ayer, B. 1993. Report of Watching Brief. St Edmund's Church, Fishergate, Norwich. Observations of excavations to south and west of the church. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. |
|<S1>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. |
|<S3>||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 174. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Ayers, B. 1994. Excavations at Fishergate, Norwich, 1985. East Anglian Archaeology. No 68. p 77. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 3 July 1992. |
|Site 2127||Parent of: Church of St Edmund (Monument)|
|Mon 450||Parent of: St Edmund's Church, Fishergate (Monument)|
|Mon 1445||Parent of: St Edmund's Churchyard (Monument)|
|Mon 1275||Parent of: St Edmund's, Fishergate (Early Church) (Monument)|
|Site 1851||Parent of: St. Edmunds Church, Fishergate (Monument)|
Find out more...