|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Julian's Church, St Julian's Alley, Norwich|
The Church of St Julian is said to have been associated with a medieval abbey on this site, but its most famous historical link is with the Blessed Abbess Mother Julian of Norwich, who is said to have been an anchoress here. The original church has a number of Late Saxon features, including windows, though the building dates largely to the 11th and 12th centuries. Unfortunately the church received heavy damage in World War Two, and photographs show it was almost destroyed. Fortunately, due to its connection with Mother Julian, who recorded her mystical visions in the 14th century, this church was the only one of those injured in World War Two to be rebuilt. This was undertaken in 1953 by A J Chaplin, who opened a number of the Late Saxon windows which had previously been blocked.
|Grid Reference:||TG 23495 08124|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Parish church. 11th, 12th and substantial 20th century rebuilding after war damage, by A. J. Chaplin. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Black pantile roof. West tower, nave and chancel. 20th century south chapel and vestry. North porch round tower truncated at nave eaves level. Traces of circular openings. 20th century single storey porch. Single bay chancel. Norman doorway from St Michael at Thorn led from nave to chapel. Julian of Norwich was an anchoress of the church with a cell in a corner of churchyard. Pre 1066 on architectural grounds, dedication. Round west tower, circular lights.
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Has bell of circa 1500, rehung 1992.
Press cutting (S1) in file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 18 November 1992.
Regarding the church bell, also see press cutting (S2) in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 6 November 2007.
Lithograph from around 1800 in file.
Note for Vernacular Architecture Group by S. Heywood (NCC) in file.
Alan Carter's Building Survey also in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 6 November 2007.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to Modern - 851 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Brown, G. B. 1903. Anglo-Saxon Architecture. The Arts in Early England. Vol II. pp 423, 474. |
|---||Publication: Cautley, H. M. 1949. Norfolk Churches. pp 5, 227. |
|---||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 181. |
|---||Photograph: 18 November . |
|---||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 44-47. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Things to do in Norfolk this summer. 28 July. |
|---||Leaflet: McLean, M.. 1979. St Julian's Church and Lady Julian's Cell: a guidebook.. |
|---||Publication: Taylor, H. M. and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 18 Nov 1992. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 6 Jan 1993. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey. |
|Site 2114||Parent of: Church of St Julian (Monument)|
|Site 2608||Parent of: Church of St Julian (Monument)|
|743||Parent of: Post medieval pottery sherds (Find Spot)|
|Mon 643||Parent of: St Julian Churchyard (Monument)|
|Mon 737||Parent of: St Julians Church (Monument)|
|Site 1400||Parent of: St. Julians Church, St. Julians Alley (Monument)|
|Site 1251||Parent of: St. Julian's Church, St. Julian's Alley (Monument)|
Find out more...