|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Church of St Martin (in Balliva) at Bal/Ber Street, Norwich|
St Martin in the Bailey, also referred to as at 'Ber Street' or at 'Timber Hill' is known to have been situated here during the medieval period. Although a foundation date is not known, the church is understood to have been demolished in 1562 when the parish was united to St Michael's. It is also thought that a fraternity of friars had a house in the churchyard here, before they joined to the white friars.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23268 08302|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
St Martin in the Bailey or at 'Ber Street' at 'Timber Hill'.
(S1) 'Situated near where the Golden Ball public house now stands, on a triangular piece of ground to the righthand of the entrance to Golden Ball Lane. In the churchyard was the house of a fraternity of friars, who afterwards joined themselves to the white friars. In the year 1562 this church was totally demolished and the parish united to St Michaels'. Formerly all persons dying in the castle, and all criminals executed, were buried in the churchyard but this right, after the desecration of the church, was conferred upon St Michael's at Thorn.
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
See NHER 429 for burial possibly associated with this church.
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1562 AD)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 120-122. |
|<S3>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 63-64. |
|Site 1413||Parent of: 21 Cattle Market Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1579||Parent of: Open Area 17 (Castle Mall) (Monument)|
Find out more...