|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Church of St Joseph|
A Roman Catholic parish church begun in 1910 and completed in 1936 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1594 4291|
|Parish:||SHERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Roman Catholic parish church, 1910, completed 1936, by Giles Gilbert Scott. Red brick, plain tile roof hidden by high parapets. Ritual east to north. Tall nave and chancel in one, low ambulatory aisles to ritual north and south, organ bay and chapel to ritual north, porch lobby to ritual west; chapel to east. Brick bond of 5-6 courses of stretchers between 2 courses of headers; 3-stepped plinth, lowest step with stone cap, second and third steps with single and double plinth bricks; shallow pitched roof behind gable parapets with stone crosses. High circular ritual east window having stone tracery of a cinquefoil surrounded by 6-mouchettes, 2 stone shields below inscribed ihs and xpi; low 2 bay chapel of St. Joseph to left. Ritual north facade: 3 large square headed windows with stone tracery, 2-lights with bold curvilinear tracery above, brick surrounds with random stone; brick pilaster strips at angles and between second and third window marking junction of 1910 work to left and 1936 completion to right; low organ bay to left with steep pitched roof and gable bellcote, 2 small windows with stone surrounds and scalloped stone lintels; small chapel to centre, until 1936 the entrance porch, with two 3-light windows as to organ bay. Low lobby porch to ritual west, the width of the nave, having embattled parapet, stone mullioned lights as to organ bay grouped 1:4:1; entrance to left return with hollow chamfered stone arch above double chamfered brick jambs; tall 2-light west window with traceried equilateral arch. Ritual south facade with 3 windows as to ritual north, chapel of St.Joseph to right.
Interior: low arcades to ritual north and south each of 5 bays with equilateral arches separated by oval piers, arches grouped 3 and 2 from ritual east with wide oval piers between bays 3 and 4 each pierced by small semi-circular headed arch. Painted and boarded king post roof; white marble altar resting on octagonal hollow faced columns, white marble altar rails; floor of oak and Welsh slate; seven sacrament font to right of altar, a copy of C15 font at Church of St. Mary Little Walsingham, Norfolk, but without base steps; suspended roof and stations of the cross, 1914, from Austria by Tosci; stone altar in chapel to ritual north showing Annunciation, possibly by Eric Gill. Chapel of St. Joseph attached to ritual south of chancel separated internally by glass screen: 1908, possibly by Giles Gilbert Scott, aligned east-west. Brick work as main church. 2 windows north and south of 2 wide traceried lights under pointed segmental head, rounded stone jambs; each window to north flanked by thin brick buttresses rising from stone plinth cap, each having band, string course and cap of stone; interior: plain barrel ceiling. Attached presbytery to east.
Information from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 7 September 2006
- PARISH CHURCH (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1910 AD to 2100 AD)
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1910 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 663-664. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Heavenly buildings. 19 November. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Memorial is damaged by metal thieves. 14 Janauary. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152329. |
Related records - none
Find out more...