|Type of record:||Building|
Lynford Hall was built to replace Old Hall (NHER 5138). The brick, ashlar and slate building in Neo-Jacobean style was completed by architect William Burns in 1862. It was refurbished and reduced in size after a fire in 1928. The main block has a Roman Doric arched porch and an extremely elaborate curved gable containing a Venetian window, a coat of arms, an open segmented pediment, and obelisks. There are two interconnected courtyards to the north. In the grounds is a Temple of Mercury gazebo. It has been used as a filming location for the television programs 'Allo 'Allo, Dad's Army and You Rang, M'Lord?
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8193 9404|
|Parish:||LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Dated by (S1) to 1859 to 1860 with later interior. Replaced house of 1720 on NHER 5138. (S1) says: completed 1862; refurbished and reduced after fire 1928. Architect William Burns. Brick, ashlar and slate, Neo-Jacobean. Main block two storeys with attics and cellars; assymetrical entrance façade with central advanced wing with arched doorway. Elaborate Roman Doric arched porch with strapwork above, surmounted by canted bay with extremely elaborate curved gable containing Venetian window, coat of arms, open segmented pediment, and obelisks. Octagonal corner turret, first floor oriel and two dormers set into curved attic gables all left of entrance. To right, first floor balcony with stone railings, advanced end bay with square corner turret. Moulded chimneys and parapets, rusticated quoins, mullioned windows throughout. Symmetrical garden façade of seven bays; row of dummy dormers in stone with obelisks etc set in parapet. End bays advanced. Only basement remains of east wing since 1928 fire. Also listed are two interconnected courtyards to north; inner has blind arcading to north and east, coachway to north; clock tower; north range roofless. West side is a highly elaborate cast iron Rococo screen by Taylor of London, one leaf of gate missing. Outer courtyard similar, surmounted by coach house, stables and housing; northeast side now blocked arcade converted to motel. Garden ballustrades. Temple of Mercury gazebo also listed - latter has six Roman Doric columns around circular cella on polygonal three step crepidoma, and plain wall for third of circumferance. Remains of hemispherical cupola; sections of plaster ceiling survive; stone bench round wall.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 April 1986.
The hall has been used as a filming location for the television programs 'Allo 'Allo, Dad's Army and You Rang, M'Lord?
M. Dennis (NLA), 12 June 2006.
- CLOCK TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL8294 A-J. |
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Monograph: Girouard, M.. 1980. Life in the English country house: a social and architectural history.. 2. p 279 Fig 18. |
|---||Unpublished document: Humberts Leisure. Lynford Hall Estate, near Thetford, Norfolk. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1995. Eastern Daily Press. 21 September. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1995. 6 October. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1997. Eastern Daily Press. 25 April. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1997. 1 July. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. 15 September. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1998. Eastern Daily Press. 10 October. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1999. Eastern Daily Press. 5 January. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 2001. Eastern Daily Press. 20 March. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Aerial grand tour of sheer magnificence. 10 October. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|---||Photograph: Photograph of the Temple of Mercury gazebo, Lynford Hall. Colour. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Website: British TV Resources. 2006. http://www.phill.co.uk/comedy//allo/location.html. |
|30470||Related to: Lynford Hall Park (Monument)|
Find out more...