|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Early and Middle Saxon coins; Middle Saxon settlement, market and possible port (Holme next the Sea, poorly located)|
Between 1999 and 2006 two Early or Middle Saxon coins and six Middle Saxon coins have been found in Holme next the Sea parish. Unfortunately, the exact location and nature of their discoveries are uncertain. They include examples minted in Merovingian Francia, Quentovic, East Anglia and Canterbury. The concentration of coins in the parish suggests the presence of a Middle Saxon settlement, market and possibly a port.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||HOLME NEXT THE SEA, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1999 to 2006.
Between 1999 and 2006 two Early or Middle Saxon coins and six Middle Saxon coins from Holme next the Sea have been reported to the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. Unfortunately the exact location and nature of their discoveries are uncertain. They may have come from one or a number of sites within Holme next the Sea parish.
The coins comprise:
- Merovingian tremmissis, uncertain type, minted between 500 and 675 in Merovingian Francia, mint unknown.
- Quentovic tremmissis, minted between 600 and 675 in Quentovic, moneyer Dutta.
- Series D (type 8) sceatta, 700 to 715, mint unknown but from continental Europe.
- Series E (secondary, type 4) sceatta, 715 to 735, mint unknown but from continental Europe.
- Series R sceatta, 730 to 750, minted in East Anglia.
- Coin of Offa of Mercia, type N334.1, minted in East Anglia between 770 and 792, moneyer Ecgbeald.
- Coin of Coenwulf of Mercia, type N342, minted in Canterbury between 798 and 805, moneyer Eoba.
- Coin of Athelstan of East Anglia, type N439, minted between 827 and 845, possibly in Ipswich.
See (S1), printouts in file.
The concentration of coins in Holme next the Sea parish suggests the presence of a Middle Saxon productive site (a settlement, market and/or a possible port).
D. Robertson (NLA), 14 June 2006.
- MARKET (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- PORT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- COIN (Early Saxon to Middle Saxon - 500 AD to 845 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Website: Fitzwilliam Museum. Various. Early medieval corpus of coin finds AD 410-1180. http://www-cm.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/emc/. |
Related records - none
Find out more...