Record Details

NHER Number:44547
Type of record:Building
Name:Coach House and stables at Barningham Hall

Summary

A 17th century coach house and stable with 19th century alterations. The brick buildings are laid out around a courtyard with crowstepped gables, dormer windows and a central wooden clock turret.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 14730 35432
Map Sheet:TG13NW
Parish:MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Coach house and stables, 17th century and later, altered 1805 and 1864, ranged to north and east of courtyard. North range: former coach house, now garages, cottages and stable; brick in English bond with some diaper work and dogs tooth cornice; plain and fish scale tiles to front, pantiles to rear. Two storeys and attic; crow stepped gables. Ground Floor: 3 central garage doors, to left and right 3-light casement window with glazing bars and ledged and battened door of 1805 under 4-centred brick arch. First floor: 6 evenly spaced casement windows with glazing bars, a seventh inserted between first and second; 3 large casement dormers beneath crow stepped gables, rebuilt about 1940; Sun dial below central dormer. Central window to attic and to first floor of left hand gable have brick mullions. East range: former stables, now outbuildings, connected to north range by storage room and passage; 18th century, altered 1864, brick, plain and fish scale tiles to front, pantiles to rear. 4 bays, single storey and attic. Ground floor of older bricks, upper wall and dormers later, moulded terracotta rondels in dormers inscribed ITM (John Thomas Mott, 1809-84) and 1864. Projecting cross wing to right with crow stepped gables. Symmetrical facade. Central bay breaks forward and rises to crow stepped dormer gable; doorway with 4 centred arch; 4-light casements with glazing bars to right and left- ground floor; shuttered dormers with crow stepped gables to right and left; central dormer has 2-light casement. All 3 dormer windows have a brick pediment. Central wooden clock turret with bell under leaded cupola. Cramp irons in form of estoile, the Mott crest. Passage to right of north range has ledged and battened door with 4-centred arch of 1805. Rear: central projecting bay with arched doorway under crow stepped dormer gable; 3 blank arches to right and left, forward facing crow stepped gables to far right and left with blocked attic windows; varied fenestration.
Information taken from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 10 May 2006

Monument Types

  • COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 379.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049179.

Related records

6569Part of: Barningham Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service