|Type of record:||Find Spot|
A Roman copper alloy brooch and unidentified Roman curving object were found here before 1971. Fieldwalking as part of the Fenland Survey found prehistoric worked flints, a Neolithic hammer stone and fragments of pottery dating to the Iron Age, Roman, Late Saxon and medieval periods. The scatter of Iron Age material seems to represent a large Iron Age site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 70 91|
|Parish:||FELTWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pre 1971. Stray Find.
Found at  (Context 2):
Roman copper alloy curving object. See drawing (S1).
Copper alloy pennanular brooch (not seen NCM).
Information from (S2).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 26 September 2018.
February 1985. Systematic Fieldwalking Survey.
Field divided into two - western part ploughed, eastern under wheat.
Over upper part of former a scatter of sherds (Context 1) with small concentrations of approximately six sherds here
and there. No immediate large concentrations. Some sherds medieval but there appears to be a scatter of Iron Age material forming a background across top part of west half field; together seem to constitute a large Iron Age site. Some Roman and Late Saxon sherds also (archive). Also few flints including hammerstone (FWL 92).
R. Silvester (NAU) February 1985.
26 February 1985. Systematic Fieldwalking Survey.
Further finds from general scatter Context 1 higher up slope.
Iron Age and ?Medieval sherds (FWL CR) and at  (Context 3) small group Roman sherds from site to north (FWL CS). Context 3 also includes medieval sherds.
R. Silvester (NAU) 2 March 1985.
For full details of wares, flint types etc see (S3).
Date unknown. Stray Find.
Found at .
Late Neolithic polished stone axehead fragment - cutting edge only (Finder's Collection No. 319).
See drawing (S4).
Identified by P. Robins (NCM).
E. Whitcombe (NLA), 29 January 2010. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 26 September 2018.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- SITE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- HAMMERSTONE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. FWL 92. FENS. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. FWL CR. FENS. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. FWL CS. FENS. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Milligan, W. 1971. Drawing of a Roman unidentified copper alloy curving object. Card. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Feltwell. |
|<S3>||Archive: Fenland Folders. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Robins, P. Unknown. Drawing of a fragmentary Late Neolithic polished stone axehead (Secker Collection No. 319). Paper. 1:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...