Record Details

NHER Number:43438
Type of record:Monument
Name:Earthworks and cropmarks of a road, boundary and enclosures

Summary

Earthworks and cropmarks of enclosures, banks and a road of medieval to post medieval date are visible on aerial photographs. It is likely that these relate to part of Fring village. Part of the village was replanned in the early 19th century when the adjacent hall and parkland were established.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 73477 35091
Map Sheet:TF73NW
Parish:FRING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

March 2006. Norfolk NMP.
Earthworks and cropmarks of enclosures, banks and a road of medieval to post medieval date are visible on aerial photographs (S1-S3). These earthworks and cropmarks are centred on TF 7344 3511. An earthwork of a curvilinear bank or wall is present at the western side of the group. It extends from TF 7322 3523 to TF 7352 3498 and aligns with the enclosure wall of the Benedictine cell to the northwest (NHER 1631). It is likely that this is a field or other boundary of a medieval date, contemporary with the cell. A further negative curvilinear soilmark is present immediately to the east between TF 7344 3520 and TF 7355 3496. It follows the line of a track shown on the first edition 6 inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map (S4) and is likely to be a road of medieval to post medieval date. The southern part of the road appears as an earthwork hollow way on the earliest aerial photographs (S1). To the northeast of the road are two possible enclosures defined by earthworks and soilmarks of banks. The largest of these is sub-rectangular in plan and is centred on TF 7351 3509. It measures 73m by 67m externally and is probably of medieval to early post medieval date. A smaller bank to its south possibly represents part of another enclosure. It is likely that all of these earthworks and cropmarks relate to Fring village. The area of Fring village to the east of the church was extensively replanned when the hall and its parkland were established in the early 19th century. It is probable that these enclosures went out of use at that time.
J. Albone (NMP), 28 March 2006

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BOUNDARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ENCLOSURE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1958. RAF 543/392 (F22) 234-5 17-SEP-1958 (NMR).
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1973. OS/73013 114-5 07-MAR-1973 (NMR).
<S3>Vertical Aerial Photograph: MAFF. NHER TF 7334ABH (MAFF/-).
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1887-1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch (1887-1891) Sheet XIV.NE.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service