|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Old Vicarage, former coach house and stable|
The site comprises former vicarage, attached former coach house and listed stable building. The vicarage was extensively remodelled and extended c.1856 by the architect and designer Thomas Jeckyll.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 35533 16513|
|Parish:||HORNING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
The site comprises former vicarage, attached coach house and a stable. The vicarage was extensively remodelled and extended c.1856 by the architect and designer Thomas Jeckyll. His work included the addition of two large canted bays to the southern façade with decorative brick parapets with chain link design. He added a new wing with a third canted bay. The front door was moved to the side of the house and includes a wide porch with decorative brackets over the panelled door and 2 side lights. A new decorative staircase was also inserted at the side of the house.
See (S1) for further details, including photographs and reproductions of Jeckyll's exterior elevations.
A. Yardy (HES), 02 November 2012.
Only the stable is listed but the house presumably counts as curtilage. It appears the house was overlooked, rather than delisted, in the revision of 1983.
May 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Stables of 1821. Brick and pantile. Irregular three bay system, central bay projects under pediment. Two storeys. Central doors and three Diocletian windows. First floor of three bays but central window blind. Side bays have carriage doors below windows. Hipped roof. Eaves have brickwork imitating timber beam ends.
Information from (S2).
October 2005. House seen from churchyard.
Large and rambling. Only details visible were a Gothick window with intersecting bars, which would fit a date of 1820, and a large stack recently rebuilt.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 October 2005.
October 2008. Building Survey.
Survey of former coach house prior to proposed conversion.
The coach house is aligned north-south and has a hipped roof, with a west pediment projecting from the slope. The roof is clad in glazed black pantiles except for the east slope which has plain red pantiles. This contrasts with the slate roof of the rectory and link block. The roof has previously been repaired and all the roof timbers were replaced. Eighty per cent of the roof tiles are the originals and the remainder are reclaimed. The walls of the coach house are red brick, in two builds. Up to 1.7m from ground level the bricks bear diagonal skintlings and are laid in Engliah bond. Above this height the bricks have horizontal skintlings and are laid in Flemish bond. Each wall has a cornice of paired dentils, and there is a platband of two brick width along the centre height of each wall. This does not, however, mark the level of the upper floor. The west front is divided into five bays, of which the centre three project slightly under the pediment. At each end of the ground floor is a four- centred archway outlined in timber. The three central bays are narrower and each contains a Diocletian window under an arched head. At first floor level there are five square leaded windows of two lights each, with facetted mullions. The north wall had a central arched window above the platband, now reduced to a small opening. The south wall is mostly covered by the link block. The east wall is now blank, apart from one hatchway. There is a blocked doorway at the north end of the ground floo , and a small blocked arched window to the south.
The interior of the building is thickly plastered. There are three internal cells connected by doorways at the west ends of the partitions. In the southern cell there is a trapdoor in the northeast corner.
See report (S3) for further details
H. White (NLA), 3 April 2009.
- COACH HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1820 AD? to 2008 AD?)
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1820 AD? to 2100 AD)
- STABLE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1821 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 562. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Weber Soros, S., Arbuthnott, C.. 2003. Thomas Jeckyll: Architect and Designer, 1827-1881. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049943. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2008. An Historic Building Recording at The Old Vicarage, Horning, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB151R. |
Related records - none
Find out more...