Record Details

NHER Number:41732
Type of record:Building
Name:The Laurels

Summary

A former Nonconformist chapel, used in the late 17th century by Nonconformists from Great Yarmouth. The building may date back to the late 16th century, with 19th century alterations.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 48409 05279
Map Sheet:TG40NE
Parish:BURGH CASTLE, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Building dates to 1590s, extended in 17th and 18th centuries and around 1900.
Contains exposed beams and fireplaces and has a cellar.
Used from 1669 to 1680 as an Independent church when the congregation were expelled from Great Yarmouth under the Act of Uniformity. See (S1).
The photograph given by (S1) shows nothing pre 19th century and the account must be treated with caution but seems too detailed to be completely wrong and the building is shown by (S2) demonstrating that it has earlier origins.
However it is not listed.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 May 2005.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: 1988. Eastern Daily Press. 11 November.
<S2>Map: 1840. Tithe Award Map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service