|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of the Palace of the Duke of Norfolk|
The Duke's Palace was built in 1561 and underwent a second build stage in 1672. The main building was demolished in 1711 but the associated bowling alley survived until the 1960s. It has been claimed by a 17th century documentary source that the alley was the first in Britain.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2300 0880|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Palace built mid-16th century (1561), second build 1672. Demolished 1711.
See (S1) p54 for full historical summary.
See excavations (site 169) for further details.
The bowling alley survived until the 1960s.
T. Fuller, writing in 1671, said it was the first in Britain; quoted in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 29 February 2000.
The site was offered to the Post Office in 1960 for use as a telephone exchange. The site at the time was occupied by a multistorey car park and progressively demolished buildings.
In 1982 the Post Office completed their new exchange with on-site offices. It was difficult due to floor levels being up to 3.5 metres below street level and the obligation to keep noise from the generators escaping the building had to be fulfilled.
W. Arnold (HES), 23rd May 2011
- PALACE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1561 AD to 1711 AD)
- BOWLING ALLEY (17th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1700 AD? to 1965 AD)
- TELEPHONE EXCHANGE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1982 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 111 . |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Kent, E. A. 1931. Houses of the Dukes of Norfolk in Norwich. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIV Pt II pp 73-87. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Hughes, T. 1999. Sir Thomas Browne's Knighthood. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 326-331. p 326. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Donald Insall Associates. 2007. Duke's Wharf Site, Duke Street, Norwich. Historical recording of the Electric Light Company Offices by Edward and ET Boardman. Donald Insall Associates. |
|<S4>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|Mon 819||Parent of: Duke of Norfolk's Palace (Monument)|
|Site 1609||Parent of: Duke of Norfolk's Palace, Duke Street (Monument)|
|37652||Parent of: Excavated remains of Duke's Palace and bowling alley beneath Duke Street Car Park (Monument)|
|169||Parent of: Excavated remains of Duke's Palace, Duke Street (Monument)|
|Site 1149||Parent of: Palace of Duke of Norfolk (Monument)|
Find out more...