|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Town Hall, Market Place|
The town hall was built in 1856. The red brick building with a slate mansard roof has one storey with a basement and two two storey side wings. The central block is symmetrical with four side windows. The central advanced entrance has a pediment surrounding an Ionic columned door with a segmental pediment. The building was extended in 1892, completing the demolition of the bow fronted house that formerly occupied the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 19309 26934|
|Parish:||AYLSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Town Hall, Market Place.
Dated 1856 on foundation stone. Red brick, slate mansard roof. One storey with basement, two storey side wings. Central block symmetrical with four side windows, cambered arches with keystones. Rusticated corner pilasters, oversailing eaves. Central advanced entrance with pediment surrounding Ionic columned door with segmental pediment. Stone plinth, moulded eaves. Parapet gables. Central octagonal ogee vent on ridge line. Side wings with rusticated pilasters; two chimneys.
Information from (S1).
(S2) notes that the building has a remarkably fine queenpost roof and that it was extended to the west in 1892. (S3) and (S4) well shows this development, the first shows the bow fronted house that formerly occupied the site, the second shows this house half demolished for the 1856 building; the 1892 extension removed it altogether.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 February 2005.
- TOWN HALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 367. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306405. |
|<S3>||Photograph: pre 1856. [unknown]. |
|<S4>||Photograph: 1857-92. [unknown]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...