|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Turnpike Lodge, Norwich Road|
This seems to be a transitional lobby entrance house of the first part of the seventeenth century. It is clad in nineteenth century brick. There is some reused timber in the house which may relate to an earlier building on this site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 09464 90371|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
This seems to be a transitional lobby entrance house of the first part of the seventeenth century. It is clad in nineteenth century brick. There is some reused timber in the house which may relate to an earlier dwelling on this site.
See report (S1) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 15 December 2004.
This small farmhouse lay at the edge of the common but within the town field called Bishop's Haugh Field. The field originated as an outlier of the Bishop's estate at Eccles and it remained part of Eccles parish. The house site described as a 'piece of land measuring 57 by 20 feet in the parish of Eccles in a field near New Buckenham' was acknowledged by John Feeke in 1603 as having been purchased from Thomas Neve in 1601. The farm later passed to the Hewet family.
M. Dennis (NLA), 11 May 2006.
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2004. Turnpike Lodge, New Buckenham, Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Longcroft, A. (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham.. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. p 187-188. |
Related records - none
Find out more...