|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Olaves Church, Pitt Street, Norwich|
The site of a Late Saxon and medieval church, demolished in 1546.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22887 09255|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Church on Pitt Street north of the junction with Cherry Lane.
A Scandinavian dedication. The parish no longer supported the church in time Edward III.
'This parish was no longer able to support the church, for we are told its ornaments etc. Were placed by the Archdeacon in July 1360 under the care of a parishioner and of the Infirmarar of Norwich Priory, who was in fact the Rector.'
The church was demolished in 1546 and the parish was united with St George Colegate. 'Stood on east side of Tooley Street, next to the north corner of Cherry Lane' (S2).
On site of church skeletal remains of about eight skeletons found, also medieval and post medieval sherds.
Information from W. Milligan (NCM). Grid reference 2292 0932.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N39; p 175. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 133. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S2>||Publication: Blyth, G. K. 1842. The Norwich Guide. p 138. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 475. |
|<S4>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 29. |
|Site 979||Parent of: 20-26 Pitt Street / St. Martins Lane (Monument)|
|Site 1829||Parent of: Site of St.Olaves Church, Pitt Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1087||Part of: Pitt Street (Monument)|
Find out more...