Record Details

NHER Number:40818
Type of record:Building
Name:1 to 15 Forge Grove and 1 to 2 Kenyan Row

Summary

These rows of houses, bungalows and linking walls were designed by Tayler and Green and were built between 1955 to 1957 in two phases. Five colours of brick were used (yellow, grey, red, black and pink) and the roofs were made of red pantiles. The two rows are linked by a crinkle crankle wall.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 41166 91903
Map Sheet:TM49SW
Parish:GILLINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1 to 15 Forge Grove and 1 to 2 Kenyan Row.
Row of houses, bungalows and linking walls listed as one.
Designed by Taylor and Green (well known architects). Built 1955 to 1957 in two phases and five colours of brick (yellow, grey, red, black and pink, the last washed). Red pantiles. Kenyon Row forms two single storey houses and is linked by a crinkle crankle wall to Forge Grove, two storey houses stepping up the hillside but with no break to frontage. Decorative arches above porches and ground floor windows alternately segmental and pointed. Porches are lattice work. North end is single storey bungalows with timber painted trellis continuing the window lines. Decorative barge boards and gable walls, one dated 1955. Ground floor plans of note but no internal features of merit.
Details from (S1), added 1998.
(S2) of Kenyon Row, showing in addition to description a tall chimney, in file
E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 2004.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Cold War to Modern - 1955 AD to 2050 AD)
  • TERRACE (Cold War to Modern - 1955 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Unknown. 2004. 1 Kenyon Row.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service