Record Details

NHER Number:4502
Type of record:Building
Name:Marham House

Summary

Marham House stands on the site of an earlier 19th century building. This earlier L-shaped building was added to with a circular drawing room and other rooms to the designs of William Donthorn. Traces of its cellars can be seen on the front lawn of the new house that was built in 1937 using many materials from the old house. A 19th century circular dairy, several cottages and the long park walls belonging to the earlier house still remain. King Edward VII stayed here.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7069 0953
Map Sheet:TF70NW
Parish:MARHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of 19th century.

16 August 1979. Visited.
Marham House stands on the site of an earlier 19th century building. This earlier L-shaped building was added to with a circular drawing room and other rooms to the designs of William Donthorn. The front door was flush on the road, leading to a small hall and the dining room - the only means of access. The House is mentioned in (S1). House now onsite built in 1937 from old materials. Traces of cellars in front drive. Circular dairy remains, also long park walls (and various gothicky cottages etc around). King Edward VII stayed here.
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 2000. Once a favourite with Edward VII. 14 July.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 534.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: 1850. White's Directory.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service