Record Details

NHER Number:4501
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Andrew's Church in vicarage garden, Marham


A rectangular raised area partly surrounded by a flint retaining wall in the vicarage garden is the site of St Andrew's Church. The church was still standing in 1485. Two burials have been found in the garden and earlier finds of burials and coffins have also been recorded.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7097 0961
Map Sheet:TF70NW

Full description

Site of St Andrew's Church in vicarage garden.
Rectangular raised area partly surrounded by flint retaining wall. Limestone fragment of window mullion lies near vicarage door, 14th century in 3/4 round moulding.
(S1) mentions 'carved fragments'.

3 January 1976.
Close to southwest corner of garden two burials exposed by fallen beech tree. Heads seemingly to west around 0.750 m into weathered chalk. Photographed but left for reburial by vicar.
Visited A. Rogerson (NAU), 5 January 1976.
A. Rogerson (NAU).

Still standing 1428; earlier finds of burials and stone coffins according to (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

Appropriate section from (S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: RE 23-29.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 70 NW 2.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 533.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Marham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 253.
<S2>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1807. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VII.
<S3>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 192; p 54.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service